Greater Newport Physicians, an Independent Practice Association (IPA), formed in 1985 by 50 doctors who wanted to improve care for the community. There are now approximately 900 primary care and specialty physicians in the group. GNP has been providing award winning care for more than 3 decades. As an IPA, GNP is comprised of physicians in private practice and GNP's philosophy is that healthcare decisions should be determined by the doctor and the patient.
At GNP, we believe that we have two important customers — our members and our
physicians — without whom we could not be successful. GNP provides resources and technology to help optimize our patients’ health and offers ongoing customer support to members and physicians as their needs arise.
Choosing a healthcare provider is an important and difficult choice. GNP provides many services to help make this decision easier.
- GNP members can choose their primary care physician and see that same doctor every time in the convenience of his or her own office, not a clinic.
- GNP associated Primary Care Physicians offer members personalized, private-practice style health care services throughout Orange County and Long Beach. The performance and patient satisfaction of each doctor is rated every year — GNP is consistently among the highest rated Independent Practice Associations (IPAs) in California .
- When you need the care of a specialist, your GNP primary care physician can provide a direct referral to more than 700 specialists, eliminating paperwork and waiting time. This system allows your doctor to refer you to a specialist, in most situations, without seeking authorization from a committee.
- If a GNP member needs hospitalization, they are treated at Hoag Memorial Hospital Presbyterian, Orange Coast Memorial Medical Center, Saddleback Memorial Medical Center, or Long Beach Memorial Medical Center.
At GNP we realize that our success is dependent on not only maintaining high clinical quality, but also providing high levels of service in all areas. To that end we are now developing technology solutions that will:
- Provide a way for members of Greater Newport Physicians to communicate with their physicians via the internet.
- Assist our affiliated physicians in receiving lab results in their offices electronically as soon as they become available.
- Provide our affiliated physicians with computerized reminders when their patients are due for preventive services, or when any GNP patient of theirs who has a chronic disease may benefit from tests or procedures recommended for that disease.
- Allow physicians to request services over the computer in a secure manner, often facilitating approvals within seconds.