Greater Newport Physicians is an Independent Practice Association (IPA), formed in 1985 by 50 doctors on staff at Hoag Hospital. There are now approximately 900 primary care and specialty physicians in the group. During the last 28 years, GNP has remained physician owned. GNP's philosophy is that healthcare decisions should be determined by the doctor and the patient.
At GNP we believe that we have two important customers - - our members and our physicians - - without whom we could not be successful. GNP works to provide ongoing and updated customer support to members and physicians as their needs arise.
Choosing a healthcare provider is an important and difficult choice. GNP provides many services to help make this decision easier.
- GNP members can choose their primary care physician and see that same doctor every time in the convenience of his or her own office, not a clinic.
- GNP associated Primary Care Physicians offer members personalized, private-practice style health care services throughout Orange County. The performance and patient satisfaction of each doctor is rated every year. Our 100,000 members give us a 89% satisfaction rate.
- When you need the care of a specialist, your GNP primary care physician can provide a direct referral to more than 700 specialists, eliminating paperwork and waiting time. This system allows your doctor to refer you to a specialist, in most situations, without seeking authorization from a committee.
- If a GNP member needs hospitalization, they are treated at Hoag Memorial Hospital, Orange Coast Memorial Medical Center, Saddleback Memorial Medical Center, or Long Beach Memorial Medical Center.
At GNP we realize that our success is dependent on not only maintaining high clinical quality, but also providing high levels of service in all areas. To that end we are now developing technology solutions that will:
- Provide a way for members of Greater Newport Physicians to communicate with their physicians via the internet.
- Assist our affiliated physicians in receiving lab results in their offices electronically as soon as they become available.
- Provide our affiliated physicians with computerized reminders when their patients are due for preventive services or when any GNP patient of theirs who has a chronic disease may benefit from tests or procedures recommended for that disease.
- Allow physicians to request services over the computer in a secure manner, often facilitating approvals within seconds.